Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Success and Liberation

Finding songs about success was a lot easier than finding songs for liberation in mainstream music. Most Americans would probably define success as being famous, rich, having many cars and houses, having many girlfriends, and many other things that have nothing to do with love. When I thought about liberation, I kept thinking of Christian songs that talk about feeling liberated from the world and finally realizing that there’s something bigger than them which is God. The songs I picked for success dealt with fame and money and the liberation songs I picked discussed leaving the past life behind and starting anew to dedicate their life to God. I believe that the American sense of success and liberation is highly different from what the Hindu understanding is.

No comments:

Post a Comment